Lousey Sketchbook!

I don't sketch well. I am a great doodler tho. Long before I ever took an art class I was given advice about carrying a sketchbook. I guess I didn't really get it because I pretty much filled it with drawings of Spider-Man and anything else out of my head that was comic book related. Then I found out I was supposed to "draw from life" in my sketchbooks. How was I supposed to find Spider-Man that way!!?? Even in my four years at Ringling, I was always amazed at my peers and the abilities they had in filling sketchbook after sketchbook with observational drawings and studies. I totally understood the merits of the exercise by this point but I just never got to a level where I felt comfortable with my abilities in this area. To this day I still carry one around but I have come to the understanding that this is not my strong point. It's not that I don't think I draw well, I just use the sketches as exercises to work out problems, to thumbnail, and to basically just jot down visual cues and ideas for me to flesh out later in my studio. I read alot of artist blogs and so many of them post sketch after sketch to the point where I felt I was cheating and not publishing any. So here is a sampler from my current sketchbook. It's a small one so I can fit in into the pocket of my cargo shorts (I live in Florida. I wear shorts ALOT!) and my instrument of choice is a basic ball point pen and a grey tombow marker. No erasing allowed. I figure I might as well push myself a little!

Comments