Thursday, June 11, 2009

What's your Vector Captain Action!?

I had heard of Captain Action most of my life yet knew almost nothing about him. I mostly saw ads for the toy in old comic books but knew that they didn't make him anymore by the time I read those issues. I even saw an issue or two of the old DC comic that had some great Gil Kane artwork in it. Several years ago I started to hear this and that regarding the character in that someone was trying to revive him and make new toys and such. Then, just recently, I got one of those mailers from my high-school to keep graduates up to date with goings on and such at the ol' place. I usually just glance at it and skip right to my graduation year to see if anyone I knew has done anything interesting. For some reason I read the whole thing this time. Must have been a night with no baseball on! Anyway, while reading about past graduates, I come across a name and I read that a fellow graduate (a few years older than I, I must add.) now owns the copyright to Captain Action and has been trying to revive him. I recognized the name from the other comic newsletters and magazines I read. Wow! I guess that sparked my interest to examine him further. I was also inspired to draw a pic of the good Captain.

At first I was simply content to follow the same path artistically has I had with my Planet of the Apes piece not too long ago. I got a basic pose I liked and set to work. When I had him scanned, digitally traced and ready for detail, I initially thought that it might be fun to fully render him out in Photoshop from that point on. I started the process and then stopped about two hours in thinking it was a mistake and I should just go back to my original plan. So the next night I went back to Illustrator and started over. As I was working tho, I decided I would at least push myself to see how far I could render him in just Illustrator. Was a good time to do things I could not do since I really came to know the program making t-shirts. One tool in particular, I had never gotten an understanding for: gradient mesh! It took me longer than I thought it would but I am very pleased with the results in knowing that IT WAS ALL DONE IN ILLUSTRATOR. I don't know if I would do it again like this. I mean, some of it would have been SO much faster in Photoshop, but I do like the fact that it is all a vector drawing.

Here I posted both the finished piece and the progression that the figure took from sketch, digital inking, refined ink with color fill and the final painting. Enjoy.



11 comments:

  1. Whoa- what a great Captain Action picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous job, Jon! CAPTAIN ACTION ROCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Job Jon! Go Bergen Catholic! Go Captain Action!!

    Best Joe Ahearn

    Captain Action Enterprises, LLC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool man! They re-released his toys a few years ago(at least 10) and I bought one. Got "The Phantom" costume for him too. Cool stuff, box had the original design an everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Anonymous was saying hi to the "Ed Catto" that made a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why?? Would they think "Ed" would come back to see it?? And if so, how would he know who said it??? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You continue to inspire me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete