Keeping up with the Joneses!

Well one of them at least. I have always been a HUGE Indiana Jones fan! Fair warning, I am about to ramble. Way back when Raiders was first released to theaters, my mom, brother and I were visiting Florida from New Jersey. Mom had a close friend who had children around the same ages as my brother and I so it was cool as we all got along well. So one night we kids decide to go out to the movies on our own. The older kids decide to get some beer and then go see a Cheech and Chong movie. We, of course, could not tell our parents that we snuck into an R-rated movie so we had to lie about what movie we went to. We actually bought tickets to Raiders of the Lost Ark so we used that as our cover. Nobody knew anything about the movie and to avoid talking about it, we all said it was not very good and that we didn't like it. This came to really burn me when it turned out to be a huge hit like Star Wars and then I just had to go see it for real. Don't lie kids. It can cost you from seeing Indiana Jones! Of course I wound up seeing the movie for real and all the sequels and fell in love with the character. I even loved the Marvel comics series! If I were a rich man, I would have a Hot Toys Indiana Jones figure in my room! You get the picture.

So I recently went to New Orleans (as you may recall) and on the drive up, we watched some movies in the car. One of the offerings that I brought along was Raiders, but a converted file made to be black and white. I read a story online a few years back about certain movies that looked better that way. I don't know if it's better, but it is really cool and if you have the means, I suggest giving it a view. I did pump up the contrast a bit when I converted mine to get true blacks instead of just grays and to give it more of a noir feel. So we get back from the show and Danny Haas decides to do an Indiana Jones piece! You might remember that the same Mr. Haas twisted my arm to do The Rocketeer not too long ago. I was fine with him doing it and looked forward to it as well, but then he asked me for some input and after cutting and pasting his picture (per his request, I don't make a habit of cutting and pasting other artists works) I found myself wanting my own picture of Indiana Jones! Or maybe I just wanted something to trade with Danny for one of his. Who knows.

So then I was faced with a new dilemma. How to paint it. Do I use the cartoony style or the Struzan-esqe look I have been employing of late? Both had their pros and cons. If I went with cartoon, I didn't think I could top what Patrick Schoenmaker is doing with Indy. On the other had, NOBODY can top Struzan painting him either. Oh well. I went with the realistic version because it was faster. I always tell you that I am lazy.

So here he is. My version of Indiana Jones.

Enjoy.




Comments