"Return to the Planet of the Apes!"
I would keep the same basic premise but instead of re-using the same names from different, previous Ape movies/shows, I would change them. I would re-name Urko and Zaius. I would remove Nova and then re-name Brent as Burke from the TV show that ended the year earlier. The idea that he was already there for years even tho his mission started years later than the current group of astronauts would have thrilled us kids. We all would have wondered what happened between the show ending and the cartoon beginning!! What happened to Virdon and Galen (the other astronaut and their simian companion from the live action show)?? I also started off being a bit too faithful to the original designs before I thought I would have taken advantage of the animated medium and making the apes more "ape-like".
So here is my homage the short lived, Saturday morning cartoon of Return to the Planet of the Apes! As I was working on it, I found that some found and restored some of the background scenery used in the show and I thought that was too serendipitous of an opportunity to pass up.
Here are the sketches done leading up to this picture.







Comments
Post a Comment