Sweeney Todd!



So, Mindy and I recently saw a wonderful production of a famous Broadway show (and movie, to be fair) and I thought that it would be funny if there was a "Disney" version of it, as it really never would, or could, be. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street".

I don't think Disney would ever make an animated musical about a murderous barber and the woman who makes meat pies!! As a kid growing up in northern New Jersey, we had commercials for Broadway shows all the time and when Sweeney Todd opened, it scared me a bit. It also starred Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett, so my first memories of her are associated with Sweeney! I didn't just draw Ms. Lansbury as she appeared on Broadway, but I did want my design to at least look like her a bit and I did borrow her hair. I wanted the beggar woman to NOT be a hag as she plays an important role in the show. The kid, Tobias, is a typical Disney boy, but Adolpho was really fun to draw!

Enjoy!

As always, here are the drawings used to make the picture.






And here is the supporting cast as I painted them in color before making them monochromatic.







Comments