Jack Kirby's Fourth World!

 





Jack Kirby's Fourth World!! To me, one of the greatest creations from the king of comics. I am not Jack Kirby or even worthy to be mentioned with him, so I didn't want to simply ape his style for this. I kept it very strongly rooted in an animated style but with a few Kirby flourishes. I also want to thank my son Joe for this one too. I just had a milestone birthday, and he gave me a book on the art of the Spider-Verse movies knowing how much I loved them. I had just the germ of an idea when I opened the book to read it and before I was ten pages in, I felt very inspired to change up how I color my picture to add more textures and such and to push myself instead of being stagnate. I really like how it came out in the end, and I think whatever I did, worked for this picture. This one hit me like a bolt of lightning!! Sketched out on my iPad, it came together REALLY quickly!

Here is the initial sketch:



Orion would be the toughest one for me to crack. Maybe because he is a favorite character of mine. I knew I wanted him "bulkier" than I would normally draw, and I had to figure out how to translate his helmet without losing too much. I drew quite a bit in my sketchbook to work this out.






Metron got some added time added to him. I kept doodling one night and wound up with a colored sketch. The Mobius Chair was built in Illustrator.






The only other element done in vector was the logo. My memory of an already used logo turned out to be a false one. On a good note, it meant that I had myself a fresh new logo to create.





Here are the rest of the sketches used to make the final drawing.










One of the earlier sketches was used as a test for me to color to see how I was going to try to do it in the final.


It all came together in the final drawing.






Comments