Flash Gordon: Animated!

 


Caught myself doodling more Flash Gordon based on the 1936-1940 serials, when I wasn't really looking to do so. Sometimes you just can't stop yourself. Here I thought I had just a quick doodle and then more and more keeps getting added and there is no rest until you try it out and see if that is what you were looking for. Then you try something else and then the "dominos" keep on falling.

Eagle eyed viewers will notice that Prince Barin went thru a few changes. I initially sketched him as seen in the original serial from 1936. Then I thought that I could "push it" a bit further but then I didn't like that there was little contrast between Vultan and Barin, so I went with his appearance (and a different actor) from the final Flash Gordon serial in 1940 who sported the more familiar "robin hood" look. Ming started off in his classic red but then he blended in too much with the background (Mongo) so I added some green to his robes, but then he looked too "Christmas-y". I then settled on a nice purple!!





















Comments