Another Lone Ranger!

                                                  


I was playing around in Adobe Fresco. I tried it when it first came out and didn't really take to it. It came up in conversation a week or two ago and then the next day I read that it was now totally free. I was curious so I loaded it back onto my iPad. I spent the next three days tooling around and came to the same conclusion I did five years ago. It's fine but for what I do, I don't feel the need to switch. The only thing I DO like about it is that I can "ink" in total vector and will come in handy for one of my clients. But that's it. I was very unimpressed with the desktop version that experienced severe lag on my machine. Does anyone out there use Fresco?? Thoughts??






At the same time, I was also thinking about a "simpler" style and Darwyn Cooke's drawing of the Lone Ranger showed up in my feed. Like it was a sign. He is one of several artists that successfully employed an economic approach. I was liking that and had some positive take aways with a few experiments. In the end I exported my drawing out, scrapping all the inking and coloring I had done in Fresco, and re-did it back in Art Studio Pro. Using only a single, scratchy pen brush (with no line variation) and a dry brush.


Went with some simple color too using the same dry brush. And here is a detail to see the line work with the pen. Something about the hatching on the scarf that I really like. What do you think of this type of work??



Here are some other work in progress shots.






And after all that, I made an alternate version where I re-drew his legs into a different position.





Comments

Post a Comment