Neil Finn


 

Neil Finn! My all-time favorite musician. From his days in Split Enz, his solo work, and most especially Crowded House! I have been fortunate enough to have seen him perform live four times with Crowded House and once solo in a small theatre in New York. I have never had the opportunity to see Split Enz tho.

This was a real fun one for me to draw, and I like that I got to play with some negative space for his guitar strap against his solid black shirt, keeping the only finished details on his face. It had no hard shadows, which artists like, as they help define the form, but I wanted to push myself a bit there as well.







And here is a bonus pic since I don't think I have ever shared this one before. I made this back in 2003/4 when I was still learning how to work in Photoshop. Every element was hand-drawn first, then scanned in to be composited and digitally colored. No Wacom pens of any kind here; I did this all with a mouse!! Took some time, but aside from the filter I used, I think it holds up pretty well. I may have to dig up the original files and see what I could do now. Or I can leave it be, since that sounds like work.

Comments