Lariat Sam!
I was hit by a bolt of inspiration! I follow a Facebook page dedicated to "forgotten cartoons". I am usually surprised how many of these forgotten characters I actually do remember, but recently I was taken back by this one. This is a cartoon segment that was shown on Captain Kangaroo. Now, I didn't really watch that show as I was scared of him. I don't know why. I was young and crazy. My brother was a fan though, so it was still on in our household. I did totally forget this existed until someone posted it on the Facebook page! I thought, "how fun!!". And it's a western theme cartoon to boot!!
These are the quick sketches done when I got the initial idea for this!
This is a quick color study for the main characters plus my in-progress background. I am starting to actually like drawing these. It was also not far after I got to this stage that I decided to re-draw the characters to give them more of a slightly modern twist to them rather than being 100% faithful to their original designs. I also had a moment when I put my figures onto the background and found it to be too heavy on the viewer left. I then simply flipped my background! So glad that it worked!





Wow! I'm old enough to remember LARIAT SAM! I watched CAPTAIN KANGAROO when I was a little kid. There was a guy who came on once in a while called THE BANANA MAN -- now that guy gave me the creeps! Great memories to go with the wonderful art!
ReplyDelete