Revisiting the Six Million Dollar Man!

Since I ended the last year with a Six Million Dollar Man piece, I thought I would go back to the vault and show this painting I made way back in 1998 as part of my senior project at Ringling College of Art. I made movie posters!! What a stretch, right!? This might be 18x24 (I'm too lazy to dig it out of the closet to measure) and painted with oil on illustration board. My theme was my childhood heroes and Steve Austin was a big one for me! Before there was an Obi Wan Kenobi or Christopher Reeve's Superman, there was the Bionic Man!! I have such fond memories of watching it with my brother and father every week!! I, of course, had the action figure. Still do actually and I may still make the bionic noise when doing something around the house. Painting this picture was actually quite difficult as I had almost no reference. I had no magazines or books, and the internet was in its infancy and the images there were very tiny! It was not being shown on any channel I had in Sarasota, Florida either. Some of it was based on memory as you can see that the only thing I got right on the track suit is the color!


 



Comments