Oil Painting

 


I have mentioned that I am trying in earnest to get back to oil painting. No big projects or commissions, something just for me. It was rough starting up again. Lost the feel of the brushes and paint, had a new space to paint that required new lightbulbs (daylight lightbulbs in case you were wondering), got new paint and using a very limited palette. Yellow (still deciding between Cadmium Yellow or Naples Yellow), Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Red, Burnt Umber and White. I also wanted to be more "painterly" than I was, showing much more of the brushstroke and to not blend or soften my edges so much. Harder than i thought! Then there was the method of laying down the paint. Each of these paintings (previously labeled as failures) were each painted differently. One had a full underpainting, one had none and was painted directly. One had a careful drawing to start, and one was drawn with paint. And so on. While I am narrowing down my process, I am not there yet, but the exploration has been a fantastic experience as long as I remember that it's ok to fail.




Comments