Flash Gordon

I love Flash Gordon. Alex Raymond was a real genius and the work still holds up today. I even love those old Flash Gordon movie serials from the 1930's starring Buster Crabbe. I still laugh at the sheer camp of the Sam Jones 1980 romp. What I really dislike, however, is the new series on the Sci-Fi Channel. I tried to watch it. I really have and it never got any better. If any of you saw the one where Flash's friend got bit by a Mongo bug and had to be depressed at his brother's wedding in order to live can attest. Does that even remotely SOUND like a Flash Gordon plot??? If that is what they mean by re-imagined for today, I will gladly take yesterday.

So, here it is. My first piece of artwork on my blog. Since I am on this topic I found this to be relevant. I will fess up to the fact that I started this work way back in 1998. Now, that does not mean that I have been working non-stop since then. Hardly. I wish I had more time to finish it actually since it is in the final stages of completion. What I am showing you is really just a "detail" of part of it. The real work is actually very involved and looks more like a movie poster with lots of characters, space ships and what have you. Take a look.



What I also love to do and secretly desire ( well, not so secret now! ) to do for a living is develop cartoons. I love taking properties and attempt to make them work in animated form. I don't really make up my own characters so much as use what is out there. I like to "play with other people's toys", to quote John Byrne. So several years ago I got the notion in me to develop, you guessed it, Flash Gordon. Now I know that there have been several animated takes on him already but I ignored those when working on mine. I thought that the sleek, deco style that Bruce Timm was using for Batman (and Superman, etc., etc. ) would be perfect for Flash if he was taken from the 30's. I actually found my original drawings and the final colored art as well. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Love the Flash Gordon stuff and I'm right there with you... the New Sci-Fi series sucks! I gave it 3 chances and each time lasted about 10 minutes before I couldn't stomach anymore of the horrible dialogue. It has none of the feel of Flash Gordon at all. Lets hope the guys who though that up all die of syphilis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment